A homeless man in Alabama thought he was safe to pick up the head of a venomous snake since it had been decapitated by his friend using a machete.
That wasn’t the case.
Bo McMahon put his finger in the body-less snake’s mouth and found out the wrong way that the nerves of the snake were still intact, prompting it to bite down on his finger.
Close call: Bo McMahon, 41, was treated and released after the incident where a decapitated poisonous snake bit him
Delirious: Bo McMahon (left) was helped to hospital by paramedics after being bitten by the decapitated head of a venomous snake
Though the 41-year-old man initially refused medical treatment, he later was taken to the hospital because he began showing symptoms of poisoning.
‘I didn’t know they’d still bite with the head cut off,’ Mr McMahon told local Fox 10 News.
‘And it bit me, and it hurt a lot.’
After initially refusing to go to the hospital, the venom in the bites took effect about 30 minutes later and Mr McMahon became delirious.
Quite the bite: This Cottonmouth snake is similar to the one that bit Mr McMahon
Treated: McMahon had thought the snake would not bite since it was no longer attached to its body, but that was not the case
‘I fell down a few times,’ he said.
‘I just couldn’t help it.’
Spotter: McMahon’s friend Stacy (pictured) was the one to kill the snake with a machete
Cottonmouth snakes, formally known as Agkistrodon piscivorus, are venomous pit vipers and found throughout the south east of the country, like in Mobile, Alabama where this incident took place.
Mr McMahon’s friend Stacy said that he was the one to actually spot the snake swimming down the river.
‘I saw it swimming down along the creek and everything, and I ran down and hit it with the machete and killed it and brought it up,’ Stacy said.
‘(Mr McMahon) picked the head up and stuck himself right in the finger with it. He put his finger in there and all of a sudden the nerves, I guess…and it bit down on his finger.’
Repercussions: Though he initially refused medical treatment, Mr McMahon began feeling delirious and falling down shortly after
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2121925/Not-quite-dead-Decapitated-snake-bites-finger-homeless-man-PUT-IT-IN-animals-mouth.html#ixzz4lzcqyaI5